Links to previous weeks developments in research around Alzheimer’s and related Dementias:
• Discovery of new gene may explain why Alzheimer’s is more prevalent in women.
• Behavioral changes, versus a potential cure-all drug, may hold the most promise for people living with Alzheimers.
• The Alzheimer’s Drug Aduhelm: It’s hard to know what to believe about this drug. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) says it will only pay for Aduhelm for people with early-stage AD who are in a CMS approved clinical trial. Check out this podcast which presents opposing viewpoints from two respected experts. It is worth listening to.
• Gov. Wolf has signed into law ACT 9 which goes into effect April 10th. Authored by Rep. Carrie Lewis DelRosso (R- Allegheny/Westmoreland) this legislation provides a tool kit for health care professionals focused on early Alzheimer’s diagnosis.
• Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Columbia researchers find connections between COVID Brain Fog, Chemo Brain and Alzheimer’s.
• Lithium may decrease risk of developing Dementia.
• Napping as we age is normal but it can also foreshadow Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias
• Early menopause may Increase risk of dementia later in life, Science Daily, March 2,2022
• Exercise lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s, Science Daily, Feb. 28 2022
• Link between Myocardial Infarction and Congitive Decline, Medscape, Feb 18,2022
Wolf Administration Launches Pennsylvania’s Alzheimer’s State Plan Task Force
Renée Chenault Fattah will chair Pennsylvania’s Alzheimer’s State Plan Task Force.
Hosted by Dr. Veirdre Jackson
The Flip Side of Adversity is Faith
(January 13, 2022 episode)
Guest: Renée Chenault Fattah